As a board-certified specialist in business bankruptcy, Nick frequently represents secured and unsecured creditors involved in Chapter 7, Chapter 11, and Chapter 13 bankruptcy cases. From protecting security interests to pursuing motions for relief from the automatic stay and assessing plans of reorganization, he helps his clients navigate the bankruptcy court process, from the date a notice of bankruptcy is received until the case is closed.
Nick’s experience extends to bankruptcy litigation including preferences, fraudulent transfers, objections to discharge, and lien avoidance actions, as well as tort and contract-based claims. He has appeared in more than 300 cases and adversary proceedings in bankruptcy cases throughout North Carolina.
Nick’s practice also encompasses Condemnation and Eminent Domain in which he helps commercial property owners and tenants facing governmental takings to obtain just compensation. Nick is also experienced in Environmental law, landlord tenant disputes, Medicaid and general commercial litigation. Prior to joining this firm, he clerked for the Honorable J. Rich Leonard of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina.
Outside of the office, you might find him running the Raleigh Greenway trails or traveling with his wife and daughter. Nick is also active in several local civic organizations.
SPEAKING AND PUBLICATIONS
Nick has presented on bankruptcy and creditors’ rights topics at the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, the North Carolina Creditors Bar Association annual meeting, and the Annual Bankruptcy Institute. Most recently he was a “Next Gen” participant and roundtable leader at the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges. He has authored several articles on bankruptcy topics for publication in the bankruptcy section’s Disclosure Statement and the North Carolina Bar Association’s blog.
Nick earned a J.D. from the Wake Forest University School of Law in 2008 and a B.A. in economics from Tufts University in 2002.
- North Carolina State Bar
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Creditors Bar Association
- Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce
- NCBA Bankruptcy Section – Treasurer
- NCBA Energy, Environment and Natural Resources Section
- Super Lawyers (2013), (2015 -2018)
- Rising Star (2019)
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite Bankruptcy (2014, 2018-2019); Young Guns (2015,2017)